Pozdrav iz Banjaluke!




          The first café in Banjaluka was opened before 1617, while Paris got its first one in 1671, and Vienna in 1683. Roasting of coffee in the Turkish Empire was controlled by the state monopoly, so not even café owners could do it themselves. It was done in state owned shops for roasting coffee, called
tahmis. Coffee was drunk from coffee cups – fildžans. The copper parts were made by coppersmiths in Sarajevo, and the porcelain cups were imported.

      << back


Old postcards of Banjaluka
1897-1941 |  First postcards - Lithographies
Panoramic views of town  |  Kastel Fortress   |  Gornji Šeher | Marketplace
Through the streets of  Banjaluka  | Down Gospodska Street  | Schools of  Banjaluka
Religious facilities  |  Public facilities  | Hotels and cafes  |  Railway stations
Foundations of Banjaluka industry  |  River called Vrbas

  About the book...   Contents of the monograph Greetings from Banjaluka     How to get the book...   Contact  

All rights reserved. © 2006 Atelje-Vicić